Sunday, March 19, 2017

So long Yellowstone...!




Whenever I traveled by air I was always envious of my lucky co-passengers that would board the plan looking tiered, tan and wearing a new t-shirt advertising the fact they had just completed an adventure in one of America's many fine national parks. So when whenever I had the opportunity, I too acquired location specific t-shirt to announce my participation in a great outdoor adventure. In 2010 I visited Yellowstone and picked up the required t-shirt.





The coat does a good job of hiding the excess weight. 


Packing a lot of weight around the middle in this picture, It made hiking along the Yellowstone River a lot of work. 

I still have the Crater Lake shirt - it still mostly fits as it is an XL! 


I loved that shirt. I wore it a lot. Around 2014 I wore it a lot because I'd gained a lot of weight and this shirt still (barely) fit. So it got a lot of use and it got a lot of wear.


Now it's time to face facts. Some good, some sad. The sad facts - this shirt is worn out. It's got a tear at the neckline. It's utility is reduced to yard work or house cleaning.  It's stained and stretched and generally worn.  You could say that it's broken in and comfortable, which is a true statement.

The good fact - I've lost so much weight that this shirt no longer fits. It hangs on me like a tent. Today as I went through the dresser and the closet purging all the clothes that are now too big. I had to wrestle with embracing the body I have now with the sentimental value the shirt carries for me. Then I thought - a compromise. If the sentimental value is derived from my viewing the shirt do what so many kids recommend - take a picture, it'll last longer!  GENIUS!

So now I can throw the shirt out with no remose. When I want to remember it, I can just look at the following picture.




But the real motivation will be to go back to Yellowstone for a new shirt in a size the will fit my goal weight body!

Stay on the path to a new you and see what is over the horizon! 


1 comment:

  1. You're inspiring the family! Cindy told me today she's gone back to Weight Watchers after reading your blog. I think she'll be surprised at how well the new Smart Points work. You keep me on track. Like one of your S-gauge trains, I keep jumping off.

    ReplyDelete